Monday, February 21, 2011

Snakes and Trains

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, the Metro provides another unique experience.  Entering a train car that was lightly populated the other night, I noticed that the man sitting across the aisle from me had his hands full.  In one hand was his PDA which he was using to make a call.  In the other he held a baby Boa Constrictor.  Now live animals (like seeing eye dogs) are permitted in the Metro system, so the man was probably not breaking any rule, but a snake!  Really!  The little snake was alive as his movements proved, and his owner paid no attention to me or anyone else around him as the snake moved around in his hand.

A young couple got on the train at the next stop and stood near the door instead of taking a seat.  As I watched, they continued their platform conversation while not paying full attention to their surroundings.  As their eyes eventually saw the snake, the double take look of surprise was priceless. They then looked at me as if to say “Is that what I think it is?”  I smiled back and when we left the train, and the snake thankfully, at the next station, we shared a laugh at a unique Metro experience that I hope is not repeated.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure it was a snake and not simply one of the freshman members of the House?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh stop getting all political. This is not that kind of blog. Check out my next couple of posts for some slightly more political stuff.

    ReplyDelete